Discover our top list of top 44 best lawn mowers in 2017. Choose and buy.
- Remington RM202A 12-Amp 19-Inch 2-in-1 Corded Electric Push Lawn Mower
- Earthwise 50214 14-Inch 8-Amp Side Discharge/Mulching Corded Electric Lawn Mower
- McLane 801 5.50GT Gross Torque Briggs & Stratton 9-Inch Gas Powered Lawn Edger With 8″ Ball Bearing Wheels
- Earthwise 60418 18-Inch 40-Volt Lithium Ion Cordless Electric Lawn Mower
- WORX 32-Volt GT2.0 String Trimmer/Edger/Mini-Mower with Tilting Head and Single Line Feed
- BLACK+DECKER LST560C 60V MAX EASYFEED Cordless String Trimmer
- GreenWorks Pro GLM801600 80V 21-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower, Battery and Charger Not Included
- GreenWorks 21142 10Amp 18 Inch Straight Shaft Electric String Trimmer / Edger
- GreenWorks 25322 G-MAX 40V 16-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower, (1) 4AH Battery and a Charger Included
- WORX 20-Volt GT 2.0 String Trimmer/Edger/Mini-Mower with Tilting Head and Single Line Feed – WG160
- Earthwise 50518 18-Inch Corded Electric Lawn Mower
- Sun Joe MJ401E Mow Joe 14-Inch 12 Amp Electric Lawn Mower With Grass Bag
- Lawn Mower Wheels Murray 21″ Low with 450 Series Engine, Red
- Honda HRX217K5VKA 187cc Gas 21 in. 4-in-1 Versamow System Lawn Mower with Clip Director and MicroCut Blades 660250
- Fiskars 18 Inch Staysharp Max Reel Mower
- Troy-Bilt TB120 159cc Powermore 21-Inch 3-in-1 High Wheel Push Lawn Mower
- Poulan Pro 961120131 PR500N21SH Briggs 500ex Side Discharge/Mulch 2-in-1 Hi-Wheel Push Mower in 21-Inch Deck, 12-inch wheels
- Murray 21″ Gas Push Lawn Mower with Side Discharge, Mulching, Rear Bag and Rear High Wheel
- Razarsharp Minimower – 13 Inch / 12 amp Electric Lawn Mower with Catcher
- Lawn-Boy 17732 21-Inch 149cc Kohler XTX OHV, 3-in-1 Discharge Rear Wheel Drive Self Propelled Gas Lawn Mower
- GreenWorks 25022 12 Amp Corded 20-Inch Lawn Mower
- MURRAY LAWN MOWER PUSH 21″ GAS 3 IN 1
- GreenWorks 25142 10 Amp 16-Inch Corded Lawn Mower
- American Lawn Mower 1204-14 14-Inch 4-Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower
- Troy-Bilt TB120 159cc Powermore 21-inch 3-in-1 Push Lawn Mower
- EGO Power+ LM2001-X 56V 7.5Ah Lithium-Ion Cordless Lawn Mower with Battery & Charger Kit, 20″
- Husqvarna MZ61 27 HP Zero Turn Mower, 61-Inch
- Troy-Bilt TB270ES 159cc 21-Inch FWD Self-Propelled Mower With Electric Start
- Fiskars 18 Inch StaySharp Max Reel Mower
- Great States 415-16 16-Inch Reel Mower Standard Full Feature Lawn Mower With T-Style Handle And Heat Treated Blades
- Earthwise 1715-16EW 16 Inch 7-Blade Push Reel Mower
- Husqvarna 7021P 21-Inch 160cc Honda GCV160 Gas Powered 3-N-1 Push Lawn Mower With High Rear Wheels (CARB Compliant)
- Troy-Bilt TB42 42-inch 420cc Auto Drive 7-Speed Side Discharge Riding Lawn Tractor
- Troy-Bilt 382cc Powermore OHV 30-Inch Premium Neighborhood Riding Lawn Mower
- Husqvarna 961450026 LC221A 4-in-1 All Wheel Drive Mower, 21″/150cc
- Earthwise 50520 20-Inch Corded Electric Lawn Mower
- Snapper 12AVB2A2707 21″ Self Propelled Gas Powered Mower with Side Discharge, Mulching, Rear Bag and Rear High Wheel, Dual-lever Height Adjustment with Cutting Positions
- Troy-Bilt TB220 159cc 21-inch FWD Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
- EGO Power+ 20-Inch 56-Volt Lithium-ion Cordless Lawn Mower – 4.0Ah Battery and Charger Kit
- BLACK+DECKER MTC220 20V Lithium Ion 3-in-1 Trimmer/Edger and Mower, 12″
- Scotts 2000-20 20-Inch Classic Push Reel Lawn Mower
- American Lawnmower Company Light Duty 14 inch Cutting Width Reel Mower by Great States Lawn
- WORX WG719 13 Amp Caster Wheeled Electric Lawn Mower, 19-Inch
- Troy-Bilt WC33 420cc 33-inch Wide Cut RWD Lawn Mower With Electric Start
The amount of power a lawn mower has is important because it influences the quality of cut.
Low powered pedestrian lawnmowers in long or damp grass may struggle. The extra resistance causes the blade to rotate more slowly which in turn means the grass is not cut cleanly and may even be ‘chewed’. You can recognise this as either a ribbed effect in the grass, a silver sheen or straggly straw coloured grass blades all over the lawn. Therefore a quality power source is essential.
Petrol Lawn Mowers
Naturally, a petrol lawn mower produces the most power and should be considered for lawns over 200 metres square or where mowing the lawn may be difficult due to slopes or uneven surfaces. Don’t skimp on power as it is one of the most important factors for a good cut and easier grass mowing.
If the petrol lawnmower has driven wheels saving you pushing effort then even more power is needed. How much power is good? Well the ideal range with ample power for rotaries is 4bhp to about 5.5bhp depending on how wide the lawn mower is. Cylinder lawn mowers can manage on a little less starting from 3bhp.
The wider lawnmowers do more work so need more power. Today there are many lawn mower manufacturers to choose from but often the engine is manufactured separately. Therefore, some Honda lawn mowers may just have a Honda engine. Nothing wrong in that and very good they are too. I also find Kubota, Kawasaki, Tecumseh, Subaru (Robin) and Briggs & Stratton excellent power plants.
Electric & Battery Lawn Mowers
Power is equally important for an electric lawn mower or even a battery lawn mower for that matter. For areas over 300 to 400 square meters I would suggest a petrol mower unless there was some other overriding reason to have an electric lawnmower; weight for example. But as many many lawns come in under 300 square meters an electric mower or battery lawnmower can be the best option.
Just get the most power in that width of lawnmower; they generally range from 900 watts to about 1500 watts for rotary mowers and upwards of 300 watts for cylinder mowers. With cylinder mowers you will need to mow at least twice a week as an electric cylinder mower will struggle with a whole week of late spring growth.
The advantage of an electric power source is no engine to service; just keep it clean and sharp. There are no polluting exhaust fumes and electric lawn mowers are a lot lighter than petrol lawnmowers. If a cable is likely to snag in your garden or distance is a problem then a battery lawnmower, though slightly heavier may be the solution.
Electric hover mowers with integral grass compartment are very common but unless you have a good reason for having one (sorry I can’t think of one) then DON’T. You need a spanner to adjust the mowing height, they are comparatively poor at collecting clippings and as the box fills up with clippings the extra weight lowers the cut.
In addition, it generally takes twice as long to mow a lawn with an electric hover mower compared to a comparable electric rotary mower. There are petrol and electric non-collecting hover mowers which work well but these are generally for rough areas, slopes or commercial situations.